Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Teaching Your Child to Ride a Bike.
As a parent, I spent many hours teaching my 4 children to ride a bike by holding on to the back of the bicycle seat as they pedaled and I delicately balanced them so they would not fall.  Letting go of the seat gradually, they finally mastered their sense of balance and I no longer had to run a marathon with each lesson, and I could finally ride my bike along with them.  Bike riding can be fun at any age.

Then I read an article on how to teach your child to ride a bike effortlessly.  The article said to merely remove the pedals and let the child use their legs to propel the bike as they do on their 3 wheel scooter.  The children get an immediate feel for motion and balance each time they push off from the ground.  I thought it was a terrific idea and one that would have saved me many hours of running while teaching my kids to ride more quickly.

One day last year, I saw a young child riding a bike with no pedals.  The bike was well designed and it was obvious that it had been made expressly for teaching a young child how to ride a bike without support.  The child's parent said he had purchased the bike in a store that sold such bikes and I was amazed that someone had turned a simple idea into a profitable business.  Only in America. The company that made this bike was Strider Bike.  Their web page is www.mystriderbike.com.  If you are about to teach your child to ride a bike, take a look at this site.  Also, You Tube has lots of videos, some very humorous, of children learning to ride their bike in this manner.  This is not a commercial, just a blog, and I have no special interest in this company.  Just trying to prevent adult heart attacks while teaching kids ride their bike. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment